Wednesday 17 April 2013

A Boat a Day (no.261)

I have been making Dreamcatchers for as long as I can remember, I remember winning one at the fair in Gloucester which came with a little scroll with the origin and meaning behind dreamcatchers. I can also remember making them with my mum's friend with willow and strips of leather soaked in water, which is a traditional method. Since then I've loved challenging myself with different sizes and shapes. 

My latest wedding decoration is mini dreamcatchers (which will be featured in a blog on DIYweddingdiary shortly.)
I have used the basic method to create today's boat, which is very dinky and delicate. I think I'll attach some feathers and hang it in the window. 

Dreamcatchers are a native American tradition, a charm or talisman for protection and good dreams. It is a loose web adorned with sacred beads and feathers, the dreams are caught in the web, the bad trapped until morning while the good ones are allowed through to slide down the feathers and onto the sleeper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment