Friday 10 August 2012

A Boat a Day (no.11)

Good Afternoon!
A Ship a Day no.11
Wax and Oil scaping
Today I played with a technique I used to love as a kid, wax and oil scraping. You start with wax crayons, (they are best though pencil crayons work too) I just started with blue and white stripes and the odd yellow circle, in true nautical fashion, make sure its really thickly applied and quite waxy. Then you use oil pastels (or a concoction of poster paint and washing up liquid) and cover your base colours, once again apply thickly, I went over with silver first and then black, with a few hatched layers to avoid smearing the previous layers. Try to cover all of the under-layer so you have a nice stark surface to scratch into.

I used a scraper I have stashed away from one of those foil images which has a nice edge and can make thin and thick lines depending on the angle. The oil pastel should come off smoothly revealing the wax crayon beneath. As you can see I didn't colour the white lines and the silver has taken to the paper in places.
Some of your colour will come off, which is why the thicker it goes on the better it will shine through!

I love this method, it's so simple and you can get some really cool effects, I'm sure you can even use textures to impress on the surface. Lace would be really cool! (I may have to try that.)

Anyway today's ship!


No comments:

Post a Comment